1. Smart Headlines Entice Readers
Chances are the headline for your blog post, article, promotion or email campaign will dictate whether or not your content will be read or not. In many ways the headline can act as the bait to lure readers into reading your content. Hit a nerve with readers by peaking their interest or provoking them to further explore your message with a smart headline.
2. The Importance of the Opening Sentence
Ok – so you’ve managed to lure the reader with your savvy headline – now how do you keep them reading? Let the reader know what they are getting themselves into and reward them with an incentive – call to action words or phrases like: See, Learn, Find, Discover and Gain are words that subconsciously resonate with readers and convey a benefit to the them.
3. Identify a Need
Why should customers or readers engage in your content or sales message? What’s in it for them?
With regards to ad messages, one of the oldest methods for engaging readers is identifying a common problem or need consumers face. Many effective ad campaigns or marketing strategies start by identifying a problem we can all relate to as consumers. For example here are some needs that advertisers touch on to engage customers:
- Do you suffer from moisture problems in your basement?
- Does you have unwanted odours in your dishwasher?
- Looking for a healthier fast food option?
- These quick but effective ‘problem’ related messages often peak customers interest.
4. Offer a Solution
Now that you have their full attention and identified a problem, offer readers a solution.
Now that you’ve got the readers attention and have identified a problem that they can relate to, present an easy solution. Whether you are speaking to readers about a product or a service, make it easy for the reader to access a solution to the problem you identified. This is usually what your are trying to convey or offer to them. Here is an example of solution responses to the problem messages above:Problem: Do you suffer from moisture problems in your basement?
- Solution: Protect your basement from moisture damage by installing DRIcore® underneath your preferred flooring. DRIcore® is a subfloor with a patented moisture barrier that keeps your family warm and dryProblem: Do you have unwanted odours in your dishwasher?
- Solution: affresh® Dishwasher Cleaner keeps the dishwasher fresh for up to a month by breaking down residue build-up to remove odours.Problem: Looking for a healthier fast food option?
- Solution: Teriyaki Experience offers nutritious, delicious Japanese food prepared fast and fresh before your eyes.
5. Call to Action
Finish off with a CTA and an incentive.
Every article, sales message or e-campaign should close with a call to action and an incentive. Whether you want a reader to leave a comment, tell a friend or purchase a product or service, make it easy for them. Give the reader clear directions on what you want them to do and most importantly give them something in return for their time and energy. Examples of incentives can be a prize, savings, rebate, a chance to win etc. Incentives generate results.
Try these tactics out for your next advertisement, blog post or sales message and watch traction grow! Contact us today to learn how BTI can help you attract and engage customers!